Kandariya Mahadev Temple
Madhya Pradesh , Bhopal
Kandariya Mahadev Temple is, without any doubt the largest and most magnificent temple in Khajuraho. The structure and its sculptural detailing epitomises the artistic heritage of the bygone eras. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the temple is said to have been built by the Chandela king Vidhyadhara, who ruled from 1017 to 1029. It is believed that Mahmud of Ghazni waged war against Vidhyadhara. Unsuccessful in defeating the King, Mahmud ended the war in a truce between the two. Vidhyadhara celebrated his success by building the Kaṇḍāriyā Mahādeva Temple, dedicated to his family deity Shiva. Its construction is dated to the period from 1025 and 1050 AD.
The myth of the origin of Khajuraho temples revolves around Hemvati who was the beautiful daughter of Hemraj, the royal priest of Kashi. It is believed that the Moon God, taken in by her beauty, descended to earth in human form and ravished her. Hemvati, who was a child widow, threatened to curse the god for ruining her life. To make amends god promised that she would become the mother of a heroic son. He also asked her to go to to Khajujupura wh...View more
re the son would become the King and build numerous temples. The child, Chandravarman, later became the King and true to his father's words built many shrines of architectural wonder. He was the head of the Chandela clan. His successors of the clan continued to build beautiful temples at Khajuraho. After fall of Chandella dynasty, Khajuraho Temples suffered destruction by foreign invaders which forced local people to leave the area. From about 13th century to 18th century, Khajuraho temples remained in obscurity until it was re-discovered by British engineer T. S. Burt
Kandariya Mahadeva is the largest and most ornate of the Hindu temples and is renowned for its Nagara-style architecture. The temple structure above a platform wile the superstructure is built in a steep mountain shape, symbolic of Mount Meru which is said to be the mythical source of creation of the world. The main structure of the shrine has carved and sculpted roofs which rise to terminate in the shikara, which has 84 miniature spires. There a...View more
e three mandapas or halls, which successively rise in height and width, and includes a chamber dedicated to Shiva, a chamber for Parvati and a central sanctum or garbhagriha where the Shiva Linga is placed. In the interior halls of the temple and on its exterior faces there are elaborately carved sculptures of gods and goddesses, musicians and apsaras or nymphs. Finely carved erotic sculptures which show couples in mithuna postures are fitted all round .
Timings : There is an entrance fee to the western group of temples temple -Rs 10 for Indians and Rs 250 for foreigners.The ticket price for the light and sound show are- Rs. 75 for adults and Rs. 25 for children (Indians)/Rs. 300 for adults and Rs. 150 for children (Foreigners)
Devotees are advised to wear clean and conservative attire.
Khajuraho is one of the most popular tourist spots in Madhya Pradesh. It is famous for its ancient temples that depict some of the finest art and architecture in the world.
Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
By Air- Khajuraho Airport is the nearest airport. Taxi or jeep can be taken to the temple.
By Rail - Khajuraho railway station is connected to a few towns only. Mahoba is the nearest major railhead, 63 km away and is well connected to other parts of the country.
By Road - Khajuraho is well connected by road. Many private and state-owned buses run from Khajuraho to neighbouring cities.
The priests perform puja to the deities
The tourism department presents a light and sound show in the garden of the western group of temples every evening at 19:30.
March - Maha Shivrathri